Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stuperbowl

I went to the gym this morning, really just a ploy so I won't feel quite as guilty as I shovel fried wings, mozzarella and perhaps even ice cream into my cake hole at the What-Else-Can-We-Possibly-Batter-And-Deep-Fry Party that I'm going to this afternoon. Really. R bought a burner that hooks up to a large propane tank for the purposes of beer brewing (his new obsession -- I mean, hobby), and it came with a cast iron pot, fryer and thermometer. The first two days he had it, I gained five pounds.

Oh, there will also be some football game on.

So as I walked up to the gym, iPod loaded with This American Life podcasts and Hemmingway's "A Moveable Feast" under my arm, I noticed how packed the parking lot was. Apparently I wasn't the only one planning to overindulge.

Ahead of me, a 60s-ish woman in a sporty jacket with a short-cropped, dyed orange hair was walking out of the gym.

"Getting in better shape!" She chirped at me approvingly. "It's a good thing!"

Um, what? Was it that obvious that I haven't been a regular at the gym? Do people really look at the people walking into the gym in running pants that appear to be a little tighter than they need to be, and say, "Good for you, fattie!"

Of course, thinking on it now, I realize she could have been referring to herself, not me.

Whatever. As long as I earn those wings and beer.

1 comment:

  1. Even though this is the worst idea for a blog ever and I thought I'd have absolutely nothing in common with it and would never be able to comment relevantly, you happened to mention a book that I've read. And didn't completely hate but sort of hated. I feel good about being able to connect with you. Please mention books I've read in all future posts, thx.

    ReplyDelete

Tell it