Sunday, September 26, 2010

The trailer

Oh dear. We're really doing this, aren't we?

We bought a trailer.

It's a white rectangle, about 10 by 8 by 8 (or something). My whole life basically has to fit into that thing (OK, there's also my trunk and the rocket box that'll go on top of my car but my car is small, y'all).

I knew before the trailer was purchased (By the way, if you're considering moving across country, and taking your time on the trip, be prepared: renting a trailer can cost almost as much as buying one. And it doubles as storage, and you can sell it when you arrive.) what size it would be, but still, when I look at it, the reality of the situation starts to sink in.

I'm getting ready to say goodbye to my bed, my dresser and tons of books. However, I refuse to give up my baking supplies or my dining table. I've enjoyed far too much the giant dinner parties with 12 to 16 people around my beautiful teak table (it has two full sized leaves) for me to imagine getting rid of it (and did I mention I paid $100 for it? Yeah. Don't lie. You're jealous.)
Perhaps most terrifying; I think I'm going to have to downsize my closet.

When I look in the generous closets I've had for the last two years, it makes me nervous. I mean, the luxuries of my current closet system are out far beyond what I deserve. I have, to myself, one double-wide dresser. A total of 8 drawers. I have one full-sized closet in which I hang work shirts and jackets, cute tops and dresses. In that closet hangs a shelving unit with 7 shelves for T-shirts and such. I have a built in storage area with two giant built-in drawers I use for workout clothes, PJs and sweaters. I also have a second full-sized closet where I hang pants, jeans and shoes. Oh and I also have a third, hallway-sized closet where I put all of my jackets, backpacks and clothes I'm thinking about selling.

How do people live with less? I have no idea. I really don't. I neeeeed all of my closets. All of my drawers--actually, no. That's not true. One drawer in the dresser is empty.

But I fear that very soon, I'll have to find out how all the rest of you live. I'm afraid.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing more humbling than moving across the country with just what you can pull behind a truck. I drove the same roads you'll be traveling, and I haven't looked back yet. Welcome to The Great South!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days I'm nervous and some days I'm excited. Today: Definitely excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll tell you–I was really sad to leave my things behind in Ohio. All of my books, half of my furniture, and about a zillion knickknacks are in storage in a barn at my grandmother's house right now. And have been since 2005, and I don't miss them at ALL.

    It may partly be because I don't feel settled in NYC and in my apartment in particular, so a bunch of stuff just seems like an eventual moving burden, but I'm so happy not to have a lot of stuff and am actually envious of the one guy I know who doesn't pay rent but just carries his bag of clothes from friend's couch to friend's couch.

    So I say give away the clothes you don't actually wear and get ready to cram the rest into a normal-sized closet, which is still 18 times the size of what I have.

    I do have a giant dining table, though. Don't give that up.

    ReplyDelete

Tell it